The interesting issue is that the San Francisco City Council, Rep. Joe Baca, some Los Angeles City Council members including Janice Hahn and Ed Reyes want to boycott Arizona and sever all business ties. And for what? Because a sovereign state drafted laws that were concurrent with Federal statutes? Please.
Let's see. Here in California we have tribes that violate Native American rights with impunity, yet former CA Assembly Speaker Karen Bass takes money from tribes like Pechanga which is known to be a violator and partied at the Chukchansi casino in Coarsegold.
Compare what's happened by tribes in California, where tribal councils have:
- Stripped tribal members of their citizenship
- Denied voting rights to members
- Taken away rightful healthcare to seniors
- Blocked access to land on the reservation
- Denied members due process of law, including legal representation, even writing tools.
- Prohibition of practicing religion, including the right to pray at their ancestor's graves.
- Threatened others if they speak out
- Subjected some to ex post facto laws.
- Banishment from reservation at a whim.
- Failure to follow the tribal constitutions (Pechanga)
- Disallow burials where their ancestors were buried.
Compare these with the chance that someone could be asked to show ID if they are a citizen. And it's a law that hasn't happened yet. In California, ALL have happened, repeatedly to CITIZENS of California. And either, the politicians have their heads in the sand, or they simply won't get enough press coverage by doing what is right by their own constituents.
As we asked Darrell Steinberg yesterday, LOOK INWARD to what's happening in your own state. Boycott tribes like Pechanga, Picayune, Guidiville, Enterprise, Cherokee Nation, San Pacual, Los Coyotes. And certainly DO NOT ACCEPT MONEY FROM THEM, otherwise, you give your tacit approval.